Red Series

Wednesday 4 May 2016

Book Review: Sinful Cinderella

A happy Wednesday to all of you. This is my first book review for the new month as I get into full swing the origin of this blog mixed in with the new. Movie Love is Friday featuring The Jungle Book. But after May, Movie Love on this blog will only be on the first Friday of each month an d feature a summary of movies I have seen. By then I should have my new movie blog up and that is where my regular posts on movies will be. So until then. Now relax and check out my latest book review. I have two review styles. One with my thoughts on the book and a rating, the other where I separate the good and the bad then give a verdict. Today I'll be using the latter. This is not the main style and will only be used for books that I don't think a rating along will do justice.




Summary from Amazon:  And you thought the stepsisters were wicked....
I'm not who they think I am. A docile girl who meekly obeys her stepmother and stepsisters. Some kind of sick angel who cheerfully bears their mistreatment. That's what I WANT them to think. Because then they won't suspect what I'm really up to.
The ball, the prince - it's all part of my plan to come out on top. Stepmother and her demented daughters will pay for every floor I have scoured, every sneer I have borne. They don't know about the white magic, how I use it to enhance myself. They can't see that my heart is black as midnight, rotten as a poisoned apple.
They're about to find out.

Purchase: Kindle

Book Review

The Good: Despite a weak start the novella kept me reading. I did stop around 38% into it on my kindle because while I was intrigued, it was not a must read. But when I came back and went past the 55% or so mark the story picked up so much I had to finish. I had thought I would only browse it a bit more but I ended up hungrily finishing up the rest of it. This novella has a story worth reading despite taking a while to draw readers in and it has made me excited for the upcoming sequel. Twists and turns in the latter half of the book are a great read.

The Bad: The writing is just not that great. Not for a story that clearly wants the scope this is going for. It can barely hold up all it's parts as a novella and the average writing does not help. Also while I do like character driven stories. The story behind this character for the first half (50%) of the book is rather poor and shoddy. Not enough to make me lose interest but when the last 40% was able to jump off the page rather well it became glaringly obvious something had gone right yet wrong at the same time with Sinful Cinderella.

Verdict: This book has four star potential but is held back by a overall average book. The story is great in my opinion but the way the book is written hampers all that potential. Think Daredevil movie versus Daredevil on Netflix. I like both but clearly the one on Netflix is of better quality. So while I did enjoy the story it took a while because of not so great writing and a weak story start. I got it for free and while I definitely want to get the sequel when it comes out at the end of May. I would say buyer be ware on this. Download the sample and if you like that then you'll love the whole thing. If not then maybe hedge your bets and decide how long you want to wait until you start enjoying a novel.

17 comments:

  1. I like the premise of this book - how cool that Cinderella was plotting all that time! It's a shame about the writing, but a timely reminder during another round of edits that I really need to draw the reader in from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely understand the Daredevil comparison.
    Saw Jungle Book and will finally review it next week. Not enough room today with the IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing my JB review Friday and will be tuned in for yours. Will be back next month with IWSG. Thanks for stopping by Alex.

      Delete
  3. I like how you do your reviews. I like getting books for free, that way if I find them not holding my attention I don't feel I have to keep reading them. Not sure about this one but great review!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...I guess I won't be getting that book. Shame. The title holds so much promise. But as a published author, I know I will get irritated at poor writing.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely understand. Which was why I used this review style instead of just jutting down my thoughts and a rating.

      Delete
  5. All these fairy tale retellings, it's hard to know which ones are awesome. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of a sinful Cinderella. Great premise! Thanks for sharing your review with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love the premises as well, I can see why it appealed to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I like the premise and cover, I might avoid this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting. Of all the fairy tale retellings I could imagine, an evil Cinderella wasn't one of them. You made good points about the pros and cons. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it doesn't grab me in the first chapter, I'm not likely to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...