Red Series

Wednesday 27 April 2016

Waterworld

Waterworld.jpg


Summary on Google: After the melting of the polar ice caps, most of the globe is underwater. Some humans have survived, and even fewer still, notably the Mariner (Kevin Costner), have adapted to the ocean by developing gills. A loner by nature, the Mariner reluctantly befriends Helen (Jeanne Tripplehorn) and her young companion, Enola (Tina Majorino), as they escape from a hostile artificial island. Soon the sinister Smokers are pursuing them in the belief that Enola holds the key to finding the mythical Dryland.

Honestly I don't really remember this movie all that well. Will try to watch it again in the future. But I did recall liking how big the world was and the scope that was put into making this. In a way it's the living novel no one can really afford to make which proves true since it had way too big a budget in 1995 to make back it's money. Ironic enough this was the first of two mid-nineties post apocalyptic box office flops/misfires for star Kevin Costner. In 1997 he had a true flop in The Postman which according to wikipedia made less than 20 million on a 80 million budget. Ouch! Yet I will say I do recall The Postman better and enjoyed that movie despite any faults that were present. Saw both at home on the dear ol' television. If you are a Kevin Costner fan or into watching television movies from the nineties. Well here you go. Also I think today audiences would be ready to go see an epic feature like this. Especially since there's still three functional Universal theme parks in the world based off this movie. Also these rides accompanied the film so technically it's not like Tomorrowland. Goodness gracious no one wants another one of those movies. If Waterworld can be done right, yay. If not, NAY to infinity.

10 comments:

  1. I remember it wasn't very good. Could of been made for half that amount and still not made back its money. I think movie producers became overambitious after the the big budget success of Terminator II.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a little like the Mad Max movies on water. Didn't quite work though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this and I remember thinking it was a bit bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I was the only person who actually liked this movie. Not a great cinematic masterpiece, but still a fun film to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember there being a lot of hype about the movie. Hubby and me went to see it on a date night, which was far in between for us. We were quite disappointed with it and felt we didn't use our date night well that time.

    To this day, years later, we'll still talk about how disappointing it was.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't remember if I saw this or not. If I did it was a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't remember it either! But I like the thought of people adapting in order to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't think it was as bad as they trashed it, but it wasn't great either :) I do love me apocalyptic movies, though. I think that little kid irritated me terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember it having a lot mroe promise than it delivered. Not full out horrible, but it definitely didn't live up to what I'd been hoping for.

    ReplyDelete
  10. On Take Free Bitcoin you may recieve FREE bitcoins. 8 to 22 satoshis every 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...