Red Series

Friday 15 April 2016

The Maze Runner and Mini Movie Review: Batman V Superman

The Maze Runner poster.jpg

Source: Wikipedia

Summary from Google: Thomas (Dylan O'Brien), a teenager, arrives in a glade at the center of a giant labyrinth. Like the other youths dumped there before him, he has no memory of his previous life. Thomas quickly becomes part of the group and soon after demonstrates a unique perspective that scores him a promotion to Runner status -- those who patrol the always-changing maze to find an escape route. Together with Teresa (Kaya Scodelario), the only female, Thomas tries to convince his cohorts that he knows a way out.

I got the book before the movie came out but found it a bit outside my taste. Still think it's a good read and plan to finish it one day. But I still wanted to see the movie. It was good to see the Dylan O'Brien outside Teen Wolf (which I enjoyed on MTV) and he definitely has a bigger career in the works if he plays his cards right. This movie is another YA dystopian adaptation and does an adequate job at showing how these teens with no memories of their lives before waking up in a glade survive. Especially when their only means of escape is through a deadly maze. Adding a girl into the mix was sort of interesting but in the end she was not a shining point of the movie. Some characters shined including Newt who I loved. Others ranged from okay to bland to just annoying. It was an okay movie to watch and I'd recommend it to those who are a fan of YA adaptations, especially dystopians.

Mini Review: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

The two titular heroes, Batman and Superman, are confronting each other, with the film's logo behind them, and the film's title, credits, release date and billing below.

Source: Wikipedia

So I went to the movie yesterday on a free movie pass to see this movie. While I will say that the movie deserves every penny it has made sadly I can't give it a positive review. The movie does have amazing visuals, action packed fight scenes, a great Batman and Wonder Woman and some really good scenes including a man who lost his legs spray painting a statue.  But the story is very choppy and convoluted, obvious unnescessary scenes, glaring plot holes and the epic fights promised in the trailer take way too long to happen. Sorry but when a movie named Batman V Superman takes more than an hour and a half for them to actually fight? No. Plus the way that the fight actually starts between the two is completely tasteless and just another reason why this version of Lex is just not very good. Will digress though that the bomb thing was scary as hell and he got some villain points from me on that one. But on a whole he was just too cartoony for this serious dark film. At the end of the day if you want to see this movie to watch these two juggernauts go head to head, go for it. But if you are looking for a polished rich story to go along with your superhero then no. So not an awful movie but it could have been better.

Will post a full review next month in my Movie Love Segment. Also I want to add that I do believe Snyder tried to improve upon Man of Steel by adding more story. Unfortunately there were too many subplots and some were just left hanging. If this were a book sent to an editor it would get slashed to ribbons. I hope the Justice League movies have better oversight. 

10 comments:

  1. Snyder did drag it out longer than it should've been. Still really enjoyed it (big DC geek) and the Wonder Woman scene made up for everything else. Now we have several stand alone movies in the works and two Justice League movies coming. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept falling asleep during the Maze Runner. I told hubby if he wants to see the second one, I'm cool with it but I'll probably end up being on the computer. Not my usual "cup of tea."

    All the hype with the Batman/Superman movie; doesn't seem like it lived up to it!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely interested in seeing Batman VS Superman and seeing what I think of it. The Maze Runner is one I've been meaning to see but haven't yet. One day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen either. Neither peaked my interest enough to see in theaters, though I'd watch if they were on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly I haven't seen either, my brothers loved both movies, and Dylan O'Brien is a really good actor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your day is well. One day, I may find an interest in pop culture. lol Your generation does love it so. It may rub off on me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maze Runner is a popular read among teens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't stand when there are subplots running all over the place and then there are the plot holes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sheena-kay! Here's a review that sums it up for all of us: CLICK!

    In short... you're so right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked Maze Runner. Dystopian usually isn't my thing so I hadn't read the book, but the movie made me consider reading it. (I still haven't, but kudos to the movie for making me think about it) I never read Divergent either, and the movie didn't do anything to change my desire in that area. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...