Red Series

Tuesday 19 April 2016

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Note: The Great Hunt book review is actually being posted on Wednesday (tomorrow), not today. 

Pirates of the Caribbean movie.jpg

Source: Wikipedia

Summary on Google: Capt. Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) arrives at Port Royal in the Caribbean without a ship or crew. His timing is inopportune, however, because later that evening the town is besieged by a pirate ship. The pirates kidnap the governor's daughter, Elizabeth (Keira Knightley), who's in possession of a valuable coin that is linked to a curse that has transformed the pirates into the undead. A gallant blacksmith (Orlando Bloom) in love with Elizabeth allies with Sparrow in pursuit of the pirates.


I saw this movie first in theaters on a fluke. Some family members had seen it before and when we went on as a group most either wanted to either see it for the first time or again. I didn't have to pay for the ticket and liked going to the movies so go figure. But I ended up having a nice time. There are not many pirate movies coming down the pipeline in the twenty-first century but this one was pretty good. Of course it was a stylized version and not for those who want the grit that's in a certain pirate series on Starz (I don't watch it but a peek makes it seem a bit more on the historical side - ish. I don't know). Still they did a good job with the visuals and I became a big fan of Jack Sparrow. Didn't hurt that he was played by Depp. Kiera Knightley's character was also fun to watch transform from a protected rich girl into a seafaring rebel. The corset scene was hilarious. So glad I don't need to wear that today. I like my back, and boobs and my whole body in general. Though I would not mind it trying one in the future for a cosplay or something like that. But never as something to wear regularly. Ouch! I think it's the female version of guys being glad men no longer wear high heels (yes gentlemen, that used to be 'the rage') - well not as much. 



Now tell me if the nobility back in the day were not fashion conscious and proud? 
Some models need training today to pose this good!

On a whole I had a good time watching this swash buckling adventure. This movie was very character driven so if they fell flat for you very likely the film would not be as enjoyable. There are now four movies in this series and another coming in 2017. So if you ever wanted to get on this series now is the time.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't like sequels two and three as much. The fourth was good, if only loosely based on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that in olden times trainee doctors couldn't learn anatomy from female corpses because their internal organs were in completely the wrong place - forced to move by tight corsets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize they were making another movie, it will be interesting to see where they go with it. I did really like them all but the last one wasn't as good in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this movie over the sequels. Of course Johnny Depp, need I say more :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a little bit embarrassed to admit that I haven't seen any of them! Think I'll rectify that this weekend. As you suggest, it'll be worth it for the costumes alone, but who can resist Johnny Depp!

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...