Red Series

Tuesday 12 April 2016

Jupiter Ascending

'Jupiter Ascending' Theatrical Poster.jpg

Source: Wikipedia

Summary for Google: Jupiter Jones (Mila Kunis) was born under signs that predicted future greatness, but her reality as a woman consists of cleaning other people's houses and endless bad breaks. Caine (Channing Tatum), a genetically engineered hunter, arrives on Earth to locate her, making Jupiter finally aware of the great destiny that awaits her: Jupiter's genetic signature marks her as the next in line for an extraordinary inheritance that could alter the balance of the cosmos.

Venue: Carib 5

I love this movie. Yes it has galaxy size plot holes and yes it could have actually been done much better. But my mother and I had a great time watching it. One of the reasons I believe was that Jupiter was a relate able character. She had a regular job and was just trying to get some extra cash. Who expects to buck up on alien assassins and be rescued by an alien with strange ears and a hot bod while doing that? Well with a body like the actress in this movie has maybe that is a reachable stretch but still. There is no question that this movie quality wise was not done well. It has heart but is surrounded by a kluster f- mess that ensured it could only reach so far at the box office. Plus the budget was just stupid. No one is supposed to do over 100 million on a new scifi movie unless you have Denzel Washington, Charlize Theoron and Liam Neeson starring in it. Sorry but you need super high pull if you want to spend more money on your movie budget than Ant-Man (or at least with less tax breaks and so on). ANT-MAN. 

One of the things I just loved about Jupiter was that she behaved like a real female launched into galactic intrigue with no idea how to handle it. She did not turn into an automatic bad ass or had a Matrix like dojo pop up into her life. No, she messed up, she tried to make things right, she needed help. People who went she was a damsel in distress and a bad role model for females annoy me. How about those smart alecks go into a war zone with no experience and see how they turn out (I know I'm ranting but I can't help it)? I'm tired of people saying any female who is not a bad ass is less of a woman. The majority of them (male or female) would not have done much better than Jupiter did if thrust in her situation. Hell she almost married a guy to try and fix things. She does not have a bazooka or special abilities, she was an earthling on a foreign planet trying to make a good thing out of a messed up confusing situation (I probably would not have gone the marriage route but the actor playing that guy was super charismatic. Temptation would be present). Sure it was not the feminist move but who cares? Well someone does apparently but how does being a strong woman only relate to beating people up and acting like a threat? Jupiter helped her family by cleaning homes for a living, her mother raised her as a single mother after the father was murdered trying to protect his telescope from robbers and when the time came to choose between keeping Earth from being harvested or saving her family, she chose Earth. She chose to save a PLANET over her FAMILY! How is that not strong you idjits (pulled a Supernatural right there)?


Yup. Sabrina would have helped fix everything. *Eye roll*


So yes this movie is less than stellar and has all kinds of writing, directing and straight out quality issues. But it is also a good movie with characters who can grab your heart if given the chance. If you don't like this movie that is fine. But if you do and any of the characters bring you in whether it's Jupiter, her mother, her expended family, her savior, the alien planet where she finds out her inheritance of the planet Earth. You'll be in for a real threat and like me also miss the greatness this movie could have been if things were actually done right. Aww Hollywood, how you toy with our movie loving hearts. 

21 comments:

  1. Haven't seen this one, so I appreciate the review.

    I LOVE the witchcraft starter kit--so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was visually gorgeous, but otherwise shockingly dreadful movie with outrageously bad writing and also terrible acting from Kunis. I did like Redmayne, though in it and was disappointed with Douglas Booth's performance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It did have huge plot holes. We couldn't watch it until the end. But hey, we all have our guilty pleasures, so glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you to a certain extent. I did like Jupiter (although her character could have been written so much better), and I liked her drive to save her family. I thought they had an excellent cast of actors and I love the special effects, so I think the main thing that failed with this movie was the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! The witchcraft starter kit is adorable.

    How rude someone would say the movie was shockingly dreadful after you just said you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I am going to watch it the next time I see it flipping channels simply because it inspired such passion in you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Laura I'm going to keep my eyes open for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We rented it through Red Box. I was pleasantly surprised and actually enjoyed it :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think with both movies and books, plot holes don't always matter as long as it is still well done, likable and entertaining. I read and watch movies purely for entertainment and to escape for awhile so to speak so sometimes, the rest doesn't matter. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen this one. But hey, there are good B grade movies! Some have become cult classics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen this one. But hey, there are good B grade movies! Some have become cult classics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never seen this one but it sounds like I might like it.

    @magickislife from My Creatively Random Life

    ReplyDelete
  13. I forgot about this movie. I saw the previews a while ago and just forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A movie I have actually seen. It was a good flick. I thought the title was really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I missed this movie actually coming out, but it sounds like one people who like that sort of film would love!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked Jupiter Ascending. Your review is so true. I think you need to go in and just enjoy the premise. PS thanks for stopping by and being a great friend to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Am less of a movie buff, but this sounds promising :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. A down to earth, as it were, fairy tale with a potential princess who messes up yet chooses the right paths. Yes, it would be interesting to see how it plays at the box office with an all-star cast. Thx.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband and I watched this. I thought the plot holes were big too, but I enjoyed the world a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband and I watched this. I thought the plot holes were big too, but I enjoyed the world a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  21. J here, of the #atozchallenge Arlee Bird's A to Z Ambassador Team. Thanks for stopping by Arlee's blog to comment on my Manhattan story.
    How was the first week of the challenge for you? Are you meeting your goals of posting and hopping to other blogs?
    My blog's giveaways are still going!
    http://jlennidornerblog.what-are-they.com
    I liked the movie more than I thought I would. But it did feel disjointed, as if trying to cram a 6 hour film into 2 hours.

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...