Red Series

Friday 8 April 2016

G.I. Joe (2009 film)

In the center of the image are the titles and credits. Above them, in front of a brown background with orange flames and "Evil never looked so good" in red letters, a man in a hooded white suit holding a sword, a woman wearing sunglasses and a leather suit holding two guns, a masked man in battle fatigues holding a rifle, and a scarred man wearing a mask that covers his face below the eye. Below, against a blue background and blue flames, with "When all else fails, they don't" in blue letters, a man in a black bodysuit with a visor in his face holding a sword, and two men and women in leather suits holding guns.

Source: Wikipedia

Summary on Google: Armed with the latest in military and spy technology, the team of elite soldiers known as G.I. Joe travel around the globe to wherever their services are needed. In their latest assignment Gen. Hawk (Dennis Quaid), Duke (Channing Tatum) and the rest of the G.I. Joe team take on Destro (Christopher Eccleston), a corrupt arms dealer, and fight the growing threat of the mysterious Cobra organization.

I actually missed around the first half hour of this film as a result of picking up our dear but not best time managing aunt. This was back in the days when we still went to movies from time to time as a family. Sadly today I'm the only movie going person left in my immediate family. But I'm still trucking on. Anyway back to the past. 

We were split between me (and maybe one other person, not sure) seeing this movie and the rest seeing The Ugly Truth (no regrets missing that comedy in theaters). Still despite what I missed I had a good time. I have been a pseudo G.I. Joe fan for years and the cartoon series on the Hub (now Discovery Family) got me in the mood for this movie. While nor exactly the best movie ever it did it's job to introduce us to the modern day version of these soldier heroes. With all the flying and magic heroes all about the place this movie series is a nice change of pace. I enjoyed the action scene was the story was good enough to follow and the scene with that bridge collapsing...damn. Plus Snake Eyes showed off mad skills and a Wayans playing Ripcord was comedy gold. If you're into that in your soldier hero action movies.

But I must say I expected better of Cobra Commander in this film. Casting Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the great commander was one of the big mistakes of the casting director. He was far from competent for that role. Sorry but at least everyone else brought their best game to the field no matter the result. Best of not Joseph did not cut it and spoiler alert, he does not play CC again in the 2013 sequel.

I have since heard that those more familiar with the franchise did not enjoy the liberties taken with characters and changes to the franchise via the movies. For me I was okay. I was not looking for any particular characters outside of Cobra Commander, Duke, Snake Eyes and The Baroness. So no harm no fowl. Except butchering CC, that was the big bad for me. So many talented actors out there and you can get Channing Tatum for Duke but not someone competent enough to dispaly the true power and evil of Cobra Commander? Looking back s far as I was concerned The Baroness should have shot that joke in the head, thrice. So if you want to watch some action and don't care about any kind of complicated deep story line, this movie might be for you. If you want deep check out the likes of The Dark Knight and The Equalizer film.

17 comments:

  1. yes, Gordon Levitt truly was miscast! I did lurv Rachel Nichols as Scarlett! And naturally Byung Hun Lee as Storm Shadow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Storm Shadow was also really good and glad to see you thought Levitt was a miscast too.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, it was a misfire. The second one a little bit better. That's what happens when you make a movie out of a childhood toy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or not be more careful in casting. Thanks for stopping by Alex.

      Delete
  3. Interesting! So I can get a list of good movies to watch by following you! Nice summaries by the way! :)

    Cheers,
    Deepa
    Deepa’s Kaleidoscope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deepa and I enjoyed checking out your site and read about sleepy heads being dunked in lakes.

      Delete
  4. I saw a few episodes when I was a kid, but the story just didn't draw me. So I never bothered to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my husband saw this on TV; I don't think he was too much impressed with it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember seeing this as well and liking it but wishing it were a bit more, maybe? Either way it wasn't bad, just could have been better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. J here, stopping by from the #atozchallenge - where I am part of Arlee Bird's A to Z Ambassador Team.
    How has the first week of the challenge been for you so far? Are you meeting your goals of posting and hopping to other blogs?
    My blog still has a giveaway with bonus a to z challenges to encourage people to visit more stops. Thanks for your visit.
    http://jlennidornerblog.what-are-they.com
    It was a decent action flick. I don't know how accurate it was to the existing storyline because I don't know much about that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a excited when I saw G.I. My mind went to Jane which I saw. I liked G.I. Joe as a cartoon as a kid, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Embarrassing story, but when I was little G.I. Joe used to date my one and only Barbie doll. I didn't like Barbies. I was a tomboy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't see the movie, but in general, I too prefer that they stick with the original characters and story when a movie is made.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't say I'm a fan of this kind of movies, but it sounds like you get a good time... if you don't expect too much ;-)

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not my kind of movie, but most people enjoy this sort of thing, especially you young people!

    ReplyDelete
  13. did not see G.I Joe - good idea for an A-Z post..might cover 'I' as well!


    http://allfeathersfurandfins.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...