Red Series

Thursday 7 April 2016

Fifty Shades of Grey (the film, duh)

Fifty-Gray-poster.jpg

Source: Wikipedia

Summary from Google: When college senior Anastasia Steele (Dakota Johnson) steps in for her sick roommate to interview prominent businessman Christian Grey (Jamie Dornan) for their campus paper, little does she realize the path her life will take. Christian, as enigmatic as he is rich and powerful, finds himself strangely drawn to Ana, and she to him. Though sexually inexperienced, Ana plunges headlong into an affair -- and learns that Christian's true sexual proclivities push the boundaries of pain and pleasure.

I went to see this with my mother. No I did not read the books before seeing this movie and still haven't. There was a curiosity factor and when I asked my mother if she wanted to go her answer was yes. No she hadn't read it either but clearly word circled her social circles of this movie as well. Watching it we were both taken in by a movie, while not cinematic gold, caught our attention. We both knew there was no way either of us would be interested in the BDSM lifestyle (anyone who does have such a sexual lifestyle I'm not knocking your choices, just a no for me) displayed in the movie and had some laughs as well when scenes got ridiculous. What we did not like was that belt scene. Sorry consent or no, just no. Anyone hits me like that as an adult is going to wish I fell through a wormhole. Anyone even thinking of doing that to my grown mother would die instantly just from the look she would give that individual. NO. The reaction and chatter in the theater proved that many like us did not approve. But my mother conceded and I agreed that Anastasia did consent to doing it so at least he had not forced her. That was it though, we did not get anything positive from that scene. Don't care how well it was shot or acted or whatever. Boo. Felt like a reminder of whipping and as a black person from the Caribbean who knows her history lessons...fuck that shit. 

Also the name Anastasia Steel is just...yeah that name came from someone's fan fiction. I could tell even my mother was thinking "Really?". I'm a lover and writer of fan fiction by the way (and would never use that name. To me it's the Freddy Longbottom of names). Still there were scenes I thought were done well like meeting Christian's family and I had fun watching early negotiations including refusing butt plugs. I would refuse that too but then again no one could dare even think of bringing me that contract. I wouldn't have to lay a hand on you. I'd just take that thing over to my mother and give her the address of the freak who stalked me from the netherworld to try and push me into that contract. She would send him back to where he came from. Yup this traditional girl saw Fifty Shades of Grey and it was okay. I had no high expectations and also saw it half off like I do with a lot of movies. This movie can be very polarizing so I'll only recommend it if you want to see it. Plus it came out in 2015 so you can see it for free at home on cable or online.

12 comments:

  1. Wish you'd fallen into a wormhole - funny!
    No interest in this one. Sexual beatings are twisted. And it's an insult that the guy's name is Christian, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never even thought on that. He's definitely not worthy of the name Christian and thank goodness no one decided to use his name has the movie or any of the books. E.L. James was right to name that other book Grey. I stick with what I said about the wormhole. Glad my post entertained you. Even if it did perturb you a bit as well but like I said Fifty Shades of Grey is polarizing. Thanks for stopping by Alex.

      Delete
  2. I've never had a guy hit me for any reason, and if he did, I'd knock him into next week. We all have our sexual fantasies, but being beaten is sick and not one of mine. So much sexual perversion these days. You'd think we were back in Roman times.

    Sadly, it made a ton of money. I'm sure they are working on a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly don't understand the hype for this, I never read the books and have no intention to nor to see the movies. I'm not bothered by anyone liking them, they just aren't for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I found out the gist of the book and then movie, I had no interest in either. Have to say I'm not sure I would have gone with my mom to see such a movie, but then I'm sure I'm many a year older than you; my mom would have probably been very shocked and walked out of the theater.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never read those books or saw the movie, but I've read enough summaries. The way it completely bastardizes the BDSM lifestyle makes me soooooooooooooo angry. I feel like the story basically glorifies being in an abusive relationship. Awesome stuff to spew all over movie screens.
    -___-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I'd never watch it, since the book is below any level of basic literary quality, I do like Jamie Dornan in the role, because he privately has the very same energy and charisma too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your review! I don't think I could watch that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't seen the movie and don't intend to. It was roundly panned by critics, and I'll do nothing to help E. L. James earn a red cent. I did read the first book and read many passages aloud to my husband during a road trip to Vegas. The book is horrible, and not just because it glorifies abusing women, but also because James can't write. She learned to be a bad writer well from Stephanie Meyer.

    I did write a post on my blog about fifty shades of gray, but not about the book. It was about my hair and my decision to go gray a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have written, many times, about this book and once about the movie. I saw it with my wife, who loved the books, when it first came out in theaters. I hated what I have read of the book and consider it a crime against the English language but I also acknowledge many people love it and that's fine for them.

    But the movie sucked bad. For me it can all be summed up near the climax beating. Anna asks Grey why she isn't allowed to touch him and he gives us the 50 shades line about how messed up he is.

    Thing is, she touched him all through the movie. That line about how messed up he is seems to exist only to justify the title. The plot makes no sense and the BDSM is just silly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not like the concept of Fifty Shades of Gray. I believe it is a lie that it is even the least bit enjoyable. I think abuse of a woman is wrong period. Thanks for your honest review. My reaction is the same as yours. I would never read the book either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read the books AND saw the movie. I liked the movie even less than the books. A friend lent me the books so I got through them; then, of course, I had to follow up with the movie to see how Hollywood would handle than S&M detail. Ick. Interesting your write up on this. It intrigues me what one can make money at these days, though I wondered how the author could sit there and write 1800 pages of that.

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...