Red Series

Saturday 24 March 2012

Trayvon Martin: A Sad Case

Please note: The following is my thoughts about the death of Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman is the shooter but I believe a court of law should decide his fate. This blog post is not in anyway to bash any party and is only to display my feelings, put the word out and find out the thoughts of others. Thank you.

If you're unfamiliar with this case click here.

Trayvon Martin was only seventeen years old when he was shot dead by George Zimmerman, a community crime-watch volunteer. Zimmerman claims self defense and Florida has a 'stand your ground' law. This tragedy has even caused political divides with President Obama getting slammed by Newt Gingrich in this article. The fact is, a young man is dead. People want to know why. The outcry for a more thorough investigation and justice comes from all races in America, not just African Americans.


Trayvon wearing his hoodie

Was it self-defense? In my personal opinion, no. The 911 calls and witness testimony makes me suspicious that this was all because of racial profiling. I'm genuinely confused as to why George Zimmerman went up to Trayvon after a 911 dispatcher told him not to. Confused and also admittedly angered. It's one thing to be a vigilante, it's another to seek advice from the law and immediately dismiss it. I truly believe all this could've been avoided if Zimmerman had just stayed in his car. No ordinary citizen has the right to confront a total stranger because he thinks he might be dangerous. Unless it's the law of your country, that's the police's job.

Trayvon Martin

I ask now that everyone bow their heads for a moment of silence. No matter the truth, a teenager has died and until the truth is known...there can be no justice. I have done my best to keep my anger out of this article and to express myself in a civil and honest way.

P.S.: I will be posting around 10pm (Eastern) tonight a blogpost on my upcoming ebook Rachael Becoming Red. In it I will write about some of the main and supporting characters as well as explain more about the novel and series as a whole. I hope you join me.


2 comments:

  1. This is so sad. You are right. Whatever happened a young person died and we need to figure out what happened. For both kid's sake.

    I can't imagine what their families must be going through right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tragic, no matter who 'wins' in court, I think everyone has lost. One killed a teenage boy, and the other died. There are no winners. I only hope it doesn't happen again.

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...