Red Series

Saturday 3 March 2012

Guest Post: Rachael Dixion - Author of Slippery Souls

Hi, today I am excited to say I have my first author guest post on my Queendsheena Blog. She is the talented Rachael Dixon and I'm sure you'll lover as much as I do after reading her post. Remember to check out the links to her novel. Now without further ado...


Guest Post

 Hey everyone, I’m Rachael H Dixon, the author of Slippery Souls, and I’m honoured to be writing this guest post. To give you a quick overview, I’ve been writing ‘seriously’ for three years now, and Slippery Souls is my first novel. I came to writing urban/paranormal fantasy primarily because I’ve always had a fascination with vampires, werewolves and most other things that go bump in the night. 

Slippery Souls is urban fantasy…by the seaside. The two main characters, Libby and Grim, actually came to me in a dream I once had - and they pretty much demanded that I tell their story. The book also contains a variety of other quirky characters, including a talking dog, a vampire with obsessive compulsive disorder, a group of chain-smoking werewolves and an agoraphobic witch. Set in the after life’s Sunray Bay, this fictional location reflects my love of the good old British seaside resort. For me, it was important to write about characters and settings that would spark, and then maintain, a sense of excitement and enthusiasm throughout. I felt it was vital for me to garner as much enjoyment from the project as possible - so that, at least while I was going through the editing and re-editing stages, I didn’t lose the will to live. I decided at the outset that I didn’t want Slippery Souls to be too serious - hence there’s a little bit of silliness thrown in there. 

It was when I was around halfway through the first draft of Slippery Souls that I realised I’d fallen in love with some of the characters, and that’s when I made the decision it would be the first book in the Sunray Bay Series. Work on the second book, The Forgotten Ones, is already underway. I have some exciting ideas and would like to explore some of the characters who appeared in Slippery Souls even further (the ones who survived, that is), and throw in some completely new ones too. 

Currently, I’m running a competition on the official Slippery Souls website (
http://www.slipperysouls.co.uk/). Full instructions can be found there, but, to give a brief description, one winner will be selected from all correct entries and a character in The Forgotten Ones will be named after them. (Pay no heed to the 31st March deadline - I intend on extending that, so fear not, there’s still bags of time to enter). Also, if you’d like to be added to my mailing list, contact me via the website with your details - you’ll receive quarterly newsletters containing news, competitions, and all things Sunray Bay related. Oh and you’ll also be automatically entered into a competition to win a free paperback copy of The Forgotten Ones. Of course, feel free to contact me via the website just to say ‘hi’ - I’d love to hear from you. 

Anyway, it’s been lovely sharing some of my thoughts here with you, and I’d like to thank Queendsheena for being so hospitable and for making me feel very welcome. 

Best wishes to you all, and always remember to wear your best undies! 

PS. As well as urban/paranormal fantasy, I also love writing horror stories. Should you be interested, you can read some of my short stories here:
http://rachaelhdixon.webs.com/shortstories.htm

Queendsheena: And to finish up, here's the book trailer. Enjoy. 




5 comments:

  1. I love a little bit of silliness sometimes in fiction! This sounds like a fun read. Off to check out the competition :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I really want her to be a success.

      Delete
  2. Ooo, thanks for the guest post. Sounds like a very nice story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book seems very interesting. I would definitely like to give it a read. The book trailer was intriguing as well. Currently, I'm on the website for the book! Thank you for sharing and introducing us to Rachael Dixon and her first novel. :)

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...